Eat all of your food....seriously

I am a wasteful being. Since childhood, I would always rip the edges of bread and discard the contents as if it were a crime scene. I was stupid in not appreciating. I still believe that I have more to learn.
Before reading On Dumpster Diving, I was assumptive and ignorantly believed that those who dived into dumpsters were the ones who deserved pity and need of rescuing. Rescuing them from their evident social and economic depravity. With my absolute thinking style, something which I should have rectified back in APUSH (ask Mr.Bato his definition of "assume" if you did not take APUSH), I thought that they all were discontent. To the contrary, Lars Eighner "felt sorry for [us]". Whether or not individuals like Lars would be accepting towards aid in removing their depravity, I do not know since I would now like to not assume; however, Lars' ironic remark towards the wasteful privileged being worthy of sorry really intrigues me. Not only does his understandable pity interest me, but his beliefs have virtue to them. The dumpster divers are not doing good for just themselves, but unconsciously for others as they clean up our faulty economy. I still believe that the hungry should receive aid, but it is our wasteful and privileged society that needs aid as well. I do not have a modest proposal as a solution for those who are not responsible, but I can at least not contribute to this wastefulness in our time. I eat the edges of bread now. 
Image result for bread crust gif

Comments

  1. I really liked you r ability to relate to the story and incorporate personal experience into your analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you used a personal anecdote in order to portray Eighner's point of how wasteful the privileged society is. I also like how you realized this wastefulness in order to change your lifestyle. Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts